Wednesday 16 November 2016

Portglenone - Kilrea

Portglenone to Kilrea


Ever fancy living by a river? There are lots of houses like this on the Thames but this is the first I've seen on the River Bann.







Another rare thing - a riverside path; this runs from Hutchinson's Quay.








A pill-box, complete with blue bin.  I think the Bann was a defence-line during WW2.  The idea was to keep the Germans out of Portadown - they wouldn't have been happy there!





The lock at Portna.  I spent a good while exploring around here but didn't see another living human.  The river is still open for navigation but not used that often.





Finally into Kilrea, the former home of footballer Martin O'Neill.  I think he is the richest man ever to attend Queens University - although I've been told that he only studied there for one week before joining Nottingham Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment